Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Prepared

The sun shining through
the frosty leaves,
falling while I wait
for a tow truck.
Looking back on my 30-something years of life, I have not lived prepared.  Not prepared for my responsibilities, not prepared for decisions, and certainly not prepared for the unexpected.  Adaptable, perhaps, but not prepared, and my adaptability seems to decrease each year, raising the level of stress I attempt to live with.

I have to admit, my smart phone helps a lot, with scheduling, and remembering, and having accessible information at all times.  But it still doesn't improve me. My nature is to live in the moment, roll with the punches, go with the flow, and I should never forget to stop and smell the roses.  But I somewhere along the line I did forget to appreciate the moments of each day, flailing about with expectations and no real plan.

I am only human, and I do think pretty highly of myself. However, I keep disappointing myself and others, and I allow others to disappoint me, time and time again.  I don't mean just the big things, although there have definitely been big things.  My youthful confidence in the ability of SELF alone has been proven WRONG.

Thankfully, my confidence in my Christian faith has grown through my own study of the Biblical texts.  (Do not let someone else tell you what is in the Bible.  Study it yourself).  I opened my mind and heart to God, and I am more prepared to live intentionally and with purpose, in everything.
Stand firm thereforeby fastening the belt of truth around your waist, by putting on the breastplate of righteousnessby fitting your feet with the preparation that comes from the good news of peace, and in all of this, by taking up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrowsof the evil one.  And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit,which is the word of God.   (Ephesians 6:14-17)
With the study of God's Truth in my heart and mind, I am able to prepare for life. The big disappointments, the little frustrations, the joys, and the small moments I would have missed fretting over inconsequential details.  It is truly amazing how the truths found in the Bible can transform how you react to this world. I challenge you to disagree, but I ask that you keep your mind open to the Truth, and so will I.

I am prepared.


4 comments:

  1. Living moment by moment, day by day with our intentions in mind creates more peaceful and enjoyable moments. Thanks for sharing:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Dana. Thank you for visiting my site, where I am becoming more confident in my "voice".

      Delete
  2. Congrats to you on becoming more confident in who you are! I needed to read this! Thanks for the reminder that with God, I can prepare for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by! I am so encouraged to be making more positive online connections. I look forward to exchanging thoughts on living a Christian life as a military family.

      Delete

I really do want to hear from you! If you like this, tell me why. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your point of view. ~ Tia Sunshine