Monday, January 31, 2011

Sermon Notes

Do you take notes at church?  I do.  It helps me stay awake and focused.  I am being honest.  There are many 'golden nuggets' of info that would get totally lost in my thoughts if I didn't take a moment from my doodling to write them down.  I started taking notes only a couple years ago, when Jason was out of town each month.  My problem is that I am gathering a pile of 'golden info nuggets' on my desk.  I intend to revisit them, but there they sit... next to my neglected bible.
(Note:  I did open my bible during my classes this past fall, but I mostly turned toward my new favorite resource, the NetBible.  http://www.netbible.org/ )
My intentions for this blog are to share the inspiration I have gained from studying Women's Ministry.  I plan to use my papers and notes as a springboard for this blog.  I will revisit the lessons I have learned, share the process, ask you to join me, and together apply these lessons.  I took two courses this past semester, introduction to Women's Ministry and Hermeneutics (how to study the bible).  I have not been studying the bible my whole life.  There have been a few years here and there, but what I have learned this past year has been incredible.  Basics for some, but new to me, and I want to share!
I am putting off this semester of study for the reality of our move. Today I was thinking of those sermon notes sitting on my desk.  Some have more doodles than words, and some have more words than are necessary, but they all have lessons I learned that should be revisited. So, as part of this blog, look for my weekly (or so) entries titled: Reflections on Sermon Notes.
What is your church studying right now?

5 comments:

  1. Geez, old sermon notes. I hardly ever go back to them. Great idea using them as fodder for blog posts.

    We just finished up Jonah and are moving into a 4-week parenting series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose! Thanks so much for sharing. I would love to hear other peoples stories of how sermons impacted thier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...when I clicked on the "sermon notes" label, I thought it referred to notes from sermons you had given, like an outline or something, not about taking notes during sermons! :)

    I do take notes during sermons. I have to in order to pay attention because listening to someone lecture is not always the best way for me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Kelly! Taking notes and sitting near the front make a huge difference for me. It is funny about what you were expecting. I am certainly not to the point of making notes for my own presentations, but trying to learn as much from others as I possibly can.

      Delete
  4. Newest post in the Sermon Notes series on my new site: http://messdressao.com/to-share-or-not-to/

    ReplyDelete

I really do want to hear from you! If you like this, tell me why. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your point of view. ~ Tia Sunshine