Matthew 9:9 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax booth. “Follow me,” he said to him. And he got up and followed him. 9:10 As Jesus was having a meal in Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Jesus and his disciples. 9:11 When the Pharisees saw this they said to his disciples,“Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 26 9:12 When Jesus heard this he said, “Those who are healthy don’t need a physician, but those who are sick do. 9:13 Go and learn what this saying means: ‘I want mercy and not sacrifice.’ 29 For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
note 26: The issue here is inappropriate associations. Jews were very careful about personal associations and contact as a matter of ritual cleanliness. Their question borders on an accusation that Jesus is ritually unclean.note 29: Hosea 6:6 For I delight in faithfulness, not simply in sacrifice; I delight in acknowledging God, not simply in whole burnt offerings.
Here are the notes I wrote down:
- The tax collectors were unacceptable, legally and socially
- Jesus saw potential for change
- It was controversial
- "What do our actions say about our faith?"
Here is what I was thinking: This sounds just like drama.
Now, let me take a moment to explain myself. I do not think one type of person is like the tax collector and the other like the Pharisees. I don't see some of us as sicker than others... we are all sinners making mistakes all the time.
What I do think, is that we continually make the mistake of deciding what is acceptable in our little world and judging others. Whether it is labeling someone according to their spouse's job, creating expectations based on positions, limiting social circles due to custom... we tend to draw legal and social lines.
We make the mistake of thinking that the path we have been put on is the exact right path for others, or that we are not allowed to stray from the path that those before us followed. It is easy to get trapped when your life has convinced you that your way is the only way. There are typical ways things are done, and if it worked for me it should work for you.
In some ways I feel like I am emerging from this weight of expectations... worldly expectations, and seeing so many opportunities to meet God's expectations. And really I do think it comes down to asking myself, "What do my actions say about my faith?"
Jesus said, "Go and learn what this saying means, 'I want mercy and not sacrifice.'.." (Matt 9:13)
Jesus does not want me to sacrifice my time, my energy, my sanity. He wants me to show faithfulness to God, acknowledging Him in the mercy I show to the people around me. Mercy. Looking past job, position, title, experience, or lack thereof. Just mercy.
How quickly do we forget that the mercy we received should be passed on to others?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I really do want to hear from you! If you like this, tell me why. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your point of view. ~ Tia Sunshine