There is something funny about listening to a seasoned childcare professional explain ages and stages of children to a group of volunteered young people. You might think it was some kind of family planning class, encouraging them not to run out and make babies. But it wasn't. It was a child care class.
Now, to be fair, some of them may have actually volunteered. But I highly doubt it.
I give them credit. They didn't look enthusiastic, but they listened very closely. They didn't even look too worried about being able to handle the children, until it came time to talk about potty breaks and diaper changes. It was about this time, over half way through the class, that a female walked in. She had just been volunteered along with another female, apparently because they were female. The young men were hopeful for a moment, until the female made it perfectly clear that taking care of children was not her thing.
In a way, I know how she feels. When I joined bible study it was not for the childcare, it was for the Bible study. And to be honest, the first time I was asked to sign up to help with the childcare, I was trying to convince myself that it wasn't really where I was needed. I did not want to be volunteered for childcare. I told myself that my kids are in school, and I am not even using the childcare, so I shouldn't be obligated to share the responsibilities of other people's kids.
Then I thought about when Jason and I volunteered monthly in the nursery at our church in Kansas. Our children were not yet in school, and I remember telling Jason that I was surprised that all of the volunteers ended up being the parents of the little kids in the nursery. We were pretty much asked to volunteer if we wanted to use the childcare. I remember asking him, "Why don't more of the older couples help out in the nursery and give the rest of us a break?"
So, there I was, being incredibly selfish on both sides of the equation. Thankfully these thoughts together brought me to the realization of what a blessing I could be to the young moms IN our group. The time spent helping with the children would far out way the inconvenience of missing an occasional worship hour. I want to thank these ladies, not only for an opportunity for worship, study, and fellowship, but for opening my eyes to the opportunity to serve and be a blessing to the moms of young children in our community.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I really do want to hear from you! If you like this, tell me why. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your point of view. ~ Tia Sunshine