Mary Smith.
Passed from our world today, May 29, 2011.
75 years old yesterday.
I did not know Mary very well. When I was in high school she made a dress for me to wear in Sound of Music. More recently, Jason deployed in 2006, and I was home with family raising my new son, and Mary approached me with a smile. She asked me how I was, and then she simply stated that she had done it.
We are silly at so many points in our lives. Our ages and stages become so apparent as we look back at missed opportunities. At the time I was not in a close enough relationship with God to see the opportunity He had placed in my path. I could have listened to her experiences and learned from her choices. Our generation is not the first to experience the separations and loss of war.
Mary was a military spouse.
Mary was a military mom.
Most important, Mary was a sister in Christ.
Mary's loving family understood that Mary's time with them was coming to an end. Mary had accomplished her work for God in our world. I may have missed my opportunity to be part of her life and to let her into mine, but that only intensifies my desire to be viligent in recognizing and accepting the opportunities God is placing in my path now.
For the love of Christ controls us, since we have concluded this, that Christ died for all; therefore all have died. And he died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselvesbut for him who died for them and was raised.
Wise words were spoken to our church family today. As Christians, we have already said goodbye to this world, but we are physically here because we have work to do... God's work.
I cannot imagine a more beautiful way to leave our world than to know that I have accomplished what God has asked of me. So, I will remember Mary as I strive to improve my relationship with God, so that I can better understand His will for my life and the good it will do in His name.
Thank you, Mary.
MARY JANICE VANDERVEER SMITH
ReplyDeleteMary was born May 28, 1936 to Alpha and Avis Vanderveer in Bell County, Texas. Mary attended Academy School, graduating in 1954. She Graduated from Temple Junior College in 1956, then went on to graduate from Abilene Christian College in 1958 with a B.A. in Elementary Education.
Mary married Robert Dan Smith on August 15, 1959 in Temple, Texas. She taught special ed, home bound students and preschool, but was most importantly a home-maker.
Mary followed her husband Dan, who was in the US Army, to Maryland, Georgia, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Okinawa (Japan), Greece, California, and Nevada.
Mary was active as a Bible Class teacher in every church where she lived. Mary was an active member for the last 33 years at Foothills Church of Christ, formally Wedekind Road Church of Christ.
Mary is survived by Dan, her husband of 51 years, of Sparks NV, 4 daughters- D’Lea and Raymond McDaniel of Woodleaf, NC; Danni and John Zavadil of Sun Valley, NV; Lydia and Dwayne Towell of Abilene, TX; Cheri and Kevin Hadsell of Reno, NV, 8 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, 3 sisters-in law and numerous nieces and nephews in Texas and Colorado.
Mary is preceeded in death by her parents and her two brothers Gene and Bobby Don Vanderveer.
Mary’s favorite scriptures were:
“For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:21
“We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
Mary won her Victory on Sunday, May 29, 2011, at 11:17am, passing away peacefully at home. A memorial service is planned for 10am, Saturday, June 4, 2011 at Foothills Church of Christ, 14770 Chamy Dr, Reno, NV at 10am. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the American Diabetes Association.