Last week Lisa, a sister in Christ, touched my heart and inspired me. Standing in the dining hall looking at both familiar and unfamiliar faces, she conquered her nerves and shared much more than just an introduction to the bible study theme. It was as if God placed her there at that exact moment to speak directly to me. And, of course, He did.
Lisa spoke about discipleship, a common subject generally having to do with actively following in the footsteps of Jesus. But she spoke about it in a way that stirred my memories and gave me immediate confidence in my own discipleship. She reminded me that I have committed to both study and to reaching out to others, and I have been falling short. I did not grow up in the church, although I did have some exposure to it. Similar to Lisa's experience, it was the people that surrounded me as we moved with the Army that truly opened my heart, supported me, and pushed me to where I am now in my Christian walk. Now it is time for me to return the favor to those around me.
I am not that far in my Christian walk, but I am a heck of a lot farther than I was. I am in a different world than ten years ago, in a different mindset than just three years ago, and farther on my path of discipleship than I was two years ago or even one year ago. But I have a ways to go, and this knowledge is what often holds my confidence captive.
I recognize that I am still learning, and I know I will make along the way. I am a student of God's word, not an expert. At the same time I take my biblical studies seriously. I am not particularly a fan of a workbook style Bible study. It is not my style. I want to dive into the texts, the history, the language, the controversy, and understand the basics on which I am meant to stand as a Christian. I will rarely say, 'I am a Christian and you must repeat after me', and I tend to shy away from others that expect me to sign my name to the bottom of a two page list of doctrine.
I have a long way to go in my Christian walk, but the one thing I know right now is that I have a desire to share with others how opening my heart to God has changed my life in amazingly wonderful ways. I want to help open hearts and inspire others to look seriously at their own beliefs and how they impact their day to day relationships. It is my hope that others will join me in my studies, at least finding interest in what I have learned, and participate in an open discussion on biblical topics and their importance in our everyday lives.
I want to thank God for leading me to this group and for the example of courage Lisa presented to me this past week. There were two questions that were asked of her that I find it difficult to approach people with. First, "What is your testimony?" and second, "Why haven't you been to church?" She showed me that it is OK to ask these questions, more than OK. She reminded me that we all have a story to tell, and we all have the responsibility to encourage others to share their story as well. Only if we know each other's story are we able to support and encourage them. As Lisa expressed so well, "It is really about loving people where they are and not leaving them there, but pointing them to Jesus!"
Below are my notes on discipleship from her introduction.
1. Pray about discipleship (who, how and where), and be intentional.
2. Consider writing and encouraging note.
3. Ask a young mother what you can do for them.
4. Invite someone to coffee and ask if there is somehow you can pray for them.
5. Have a lending library of spiritual resources.
6. Be willing to be transparent.
7. Be F.A.T. in the Lord, and look to other who are also F.A.T in the Lord (Faithful, Available, Teachable)
Has someone reached out to you in one or more of these ways? What would you add to this list?


No comments:
Post a Comment
I really do want to hear from you! If you like this, tell me why. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your point of view. ~ Tia Sunshine