I love my Army Ranger. Many unique challenges are brought on by the Army lifestyle, and to find rewards in these challenges I have had to choose the correct perspective.
The romance. Saying 'goodbye' to my man for a year grips my heart and wets my eyes. My reward is romance. We appreciate our time together and make the most of it, not to mention the romantic reunion when he comes home.
The moves. It is part of the military lifestyle to pick up and leave your hometown, and the next town, and the next. I still love to start an adventure, having to clean out closets, pack up and live like a nomad. I appreciate what I have when I get it back, and I cannot imagine my life without seeing the world.
The friends. Fire-forged friendships. My soldier is not the only one who gets a battle buddy. The military lifestyle taught me how to recognize my true friends, and it also continues to teach me how to grow new friendships. I hold these friends close to my heart, and I continue to open my mind to the world through the eyes of the diverse friends I have met over the years.
The uniform. My man looks good in it, and I love what the uniform stands for. It represents service and sacrifice. My husband is fun, relaxed, and just as handsome out of his uniform, but he makes the choice to put the uniform on, and that is what makes the difference.
The independence. Time together is golden, but a relationship forms between individuals, and there is no reason we should not continue to nurture our own individuality. It is a tight rope balancing family and self, but taking the opportunities to be on my own is enriching. It reminds me that he needs his own interests, and I am sure my interests make me a much more enjoyable person to live with.
The change. I was getting too comfortable in Kansas, or at least that is what the Army thought. I do appreciate that the military shakes up my routine. I can re-evaluate what routines and habits I will keep or leave behind. It allows me to re-invent myself a little. We are all growing, or should be, and moving encourages the bravery in me to become someone a little better than I have been.
The challenge. I try to remember that with each challenge I can walk away with a better understanding of what God expects of me. The military is certainly not the only sub-culture with a unique set of challenges, but the unique challenges I have faced continue to prepare me for His work in service to others. I pray that I can help other military wives see their challenges as opportunities.
My husband. I would not search out this lifestyle. I choose to make the best of the military life, because the military lifestyle is what came with saying, "I do."
What opportunities have you discovered on your journey with the military? Please comment below on how your perspective has changed. What impact does your theology have on that perspective?
(I submitting a sample of my writing when I realized how long the original post was. This edited version is much more to the point, and I hope to keep future posts at this more manageable length)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I really do want to hear from you! If you like this, tell me why. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your point of view. ~ Tia Sunshine